Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Reading Graham Greene in New York

This is Ino in Greenwich Village where we had lunch today. That was after breakfast at the local diner. Tonight we are heading out for some Tapas. Yes it is a culinary delight and every time I enter the room I hear the bass riff from Seinfeld playing . 

It is a wonder and for me a good thing. I haven't been in New York since September 11th and the week of madness that followed that day. For a long time I didn't want to come back but It has somehow been redeemed. Am reading "The heart of the matter" by Graham Greene and loving it. There was a great quote in todays chapter which although I'm feeling good at the minute and as far from despair as I've been in months ......... I still thought I would share with you because there is something profound about despair and how he describes it through the character of Scobie the hero/anti-hero of the book as he realises he cant give his wife what she wants and needs. 

"Despair is the price one pays for setting one an impossible aim. It is, one is told, the unforgiveable sin, but it is a sin the corrupt or evil man never practices. He always has hope. He never reaches the freezing point of knowing absolute failure. Only the man of goodwill carries always in his heart this capacity for damnation."

No comments: